Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Spanish Soap Operas

Last night I decided to relax and spend some quality time with mom…..watching Spanish soap operas. Spanish soap operas are similar to American soap operas in that there is always a lot of unnecessary drama, people coming back from the dead, and there is always a question of paternity....and sometimes even maternity. Both styles have really attractive characters. All the woman always have on a full face of make-up even while just lounging around at home, and only when they are trying to appear ill do the actors shed their layers of make-up and courageously show their make-up free images. How the American and Spanish soap operas differ is in the length of the show. A Spanish soap opera has a beginning, a middle, and an end…..all within the lovely confines of about 9-12 months (12 months is pushing it). Maybe they think Latinos don't have the commitment or the attention span. Who knows. And of course the American soap operas last FOREVER…….omg….Susan Lucci is like 112 yrs old! Retire already!

So we're watching and I notice the men in the soap are so incredibly in love and devoted to their love interest. To the point where they are fighting, yelling, karate chopping other men, crying, singing, and admitting that they would never ever cheat on their beloved even with their thoughts. All of this within 8 minutes of uninterrupted Spanish-drama-fest. And I turn to my mom and said, "Mom, that’s what I want. I want a man to just loose all thought or reason because he is blinded by his love for me." To which my mom responds, "Yeah….keep dreaming."

But why must I only keep this to a dream? I am sure there are people out there in the world who share this deep love and passionate connection for one another. Or is it all really just smoke and mirrors? A mirage? If so, then when is a girl ever to truly fall in love? This is why I watch The Hills. All the eff'd up petty crap LC and her friends worry about are so silly and lame…..makes me appreciate my normal life (with only my self-induced drama of course). :)

No comments: